Imaginative writing is that which expresses the writer’s thoughts and feelings in a creative, unique, and poetic way. Examples of imaginative writing are poetry, fiction such as short stories and novels, creative nonfiction like travel writing, nature writing, sports writing, autobiography, memoir, interviews, comics, play scripts, and hypertexts.
While imaginative writing may be for a variety of purposes, its main purpose is to entertain and educate. Its content is imaginative, metaphoric, and symbolic. Its language is informal, artistic, and figurative. The vocabulary used is evocative and is usually written for a general audience. The tone, which refers to the mood, attitude, feelings, or emotion of the writer toward the subject or topic, is subjective.
by Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
It’s the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I’m a woman
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can’t see.
It’s in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
It’s in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need for my care.
’Cause I’m a woman
Technical writing is a form of writing technical communication or documentation in science and technology or applied science that helps people understand a product or service.
The main purpose of technical writing is to inform and to trigger the person into action such as purchasing a product or service. Its purpose may also be to instruct or to persuade, but never to entertain.
The content is factual and straightforward. It is expressed in formal, standard, or academic language. The write-up uses a specialized vocabulary and follows a set of rules and conventions. It is also organized in a sequential or systematic pattern. Often, it is detail-oriented and requires advanced knowledge in the specific field.
The tone of technical writing output is objective and its audience is specific uses language to evoke either an emotional or intellectual response from the audience or reader.
Examples of technical writing are end-user documentation like user manuals that accompany cellular phones, personal computers, or laptops; traditional technical writing such as legal analysis, summary of experiments for journal publications, or articles for trade publication; and technological marketing communications such as sales pitch about a new computer hardware or software to a new client. It includes training manuals, operations guides, and promotional brochures.
CRISTOBAL V. GOMEZ – G.R. NO. 27014
Epifanio sold a property with pacto de retro to Yangco. It was stipulated that the property is redeemable within five years. When the period expired, Yangco extended it. In order to redeem, Epifanio asked Banas for a loan. Banas agreed, with the condition that Marcelino and Telesfora be responsible for the loan. The two entered into a private partnership in participation which stipulated that the property shall be returned to Epifanio as soon as the capital employed have been covered. Epifanio died. He left Paulina and their children. Marcelino acquired exclusive rights over the property when Telesfora conveyed her interest to him. Marcelino sold the property to Banas, with pacto de retro, redeemable within five years. He redeemed it from Banas. Marcelino submitted a notarial document wherein Epifanio certifies that Marcelino had requested him to draw up a notarial act showing the properties which Marcelino was known to be the true owner. Marcelino relies upon this instrument as proving title in him, contending that Epifanio and his successors are estopped from claiming said lot.
Are the heirs of Epifanio estopped from claiming the property?
No. Estoppel may not be invoked by a person party to the collusion, by reason that he could not have been misled. The document executed by Epifanio was merely laying the basis of a scheme to defeat Yangco’s rights under his contract of purchase of 1891, or to defeat Epifanio’s other creditors.
Identify whether the following selection is Imaginative or Technical.
- We had become very hungry; we felt that it was necessary for us to eat in order to maintain both our morale and our endurance. Our cabman took us to a restaurant. When we entered it was rather crowded, but we managed to find a table and sit down. There followed that hiatus of which every Negro in the United States knows the meaning. At length, a man in charge came over and told us without any pretense of palliation that we could not be served.” (James Weldon Johnson, “Outcasts in Salt Lake City”)
- The effects of a respondent’s socio-economic background on his or her attitudes toward minority groups were analyzed with the help of a multivariate linear regression model. Multivariate regression models ex-plain variations of the dependent variables by a linear combination of independent variables. In this case, the models were calculated to explain the sum indices for each dimension, country by country.” (SORA, “Attitudes towards Minority Groups in the European Union”)
- The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms.
The tree has grown in my breast—
The branches grow out of me, like arms.”
(Ezra Pound, A Girl)
- The most common mistake when planting a tree is digging a hole, which is either too deep or too narrow. Too deep and the roots don’t have access to sufficient oxygen to ensure proper growth. Too narrow and the root structure can’t expand sufficiently to nourish and properly anchor the tree.”
- “If you see the signup form, fill out your name, email address or phone number, password, birthday and gender. If you don’t see the form, click Sign Up, then fill out the form. Click Sign Up.”
- “The internet is, a fountain of information. / It’s available to everyone, in every nation. / Pages for children to read and enjoy / along with the spam, which can really annoy. / Poetry and forums for everyone’s pleasure /just about anything, even selling your treasure.” (Bernard Howe, The Internet”)
- “This paper presents the conceptual linkages between food security and nutrition and reviews data on the associations between experience-based measures of food insecurity and nutritional status outcomes in countries at different stages of the nutrition transition.” (Voices of the Hungry, “Food Security and Nutrition in the context of the Global Nutrition Transition”)
- I come among the peoples like a shadow.
I sit down by each man’s side.
None sees me, but they look on one another,
And know that I am there.
My silence is like the silence of the tide
That buries-the playground of children;
(Robert Laurence Binyon, “Hunger”)
- The tree has entered my hands,