The research problems can be gathered from various sources, such as:
- Research Literature. It provides the much needed information to determine what have already been explored in relation to the topic that will be investigated.
- Theory–Based Research. This contains the studies in which the existing theories on language and literature were tested.
- Replicating and Extending Previous Research. The purpose of this is to check findings of breakthrough study, to determine the validity of research findings across different populations, to identify the trends or change over time, to know important findings using different methodology, and to develop more effective or efficient intervention
- Observations. This helps in determining an emerging or existing phenomenon that must be investigated
- Experience. This is another rich source of research topics because this provides the motivation to the researcher to investigate or examine what he/she knows is important in language or literature study.