According to many observers, federalism improves governance through a new division and specialization of government functions. There is usually a broad devolution of power, authority, and the needed revenues and resources from the national government to the States. Local governments are also closer to the people and have greater impact on their lives.
The Federal Government
The Federal Government shall be responsible only for:
- National security and defense,
- Foreign relations,
- Currency and monetary policy,
- Civil, political and other human rights,
- Customs, the Supreme Court,
- The Constitutional Tribunal, and the Court of Appeals, and
- Other functions of federal governments.
Most other government functions and services that impact directly on the lives of the people shall be the main responsibility of States or regional governments and their local governments. These include
- Peace and justice;
- Agriculture and fisheries;
- Energy, environment & natural resources;
- Labor and employment;
- Public works, transportation and communication;
- Science and technology;
- Culture (language, culture, and the arts);
- Social welfare and development; and 11.Public safety and police.